The Rivière-Bleue mission is officially opened in 1874 and mass is celebrated in private homes. In 1910, a first school is built; it is also used as a chapel. In 1913, several new families arrive as an important forest company, the “Blue River Lumber” is set up. It is now time to organize the territory into a parish because the 1910 chapel-school no longer meet the needs of the still increasing population.
On December 21st, 1913, a request is sent to Bishop André-Albert Blais, of Rimouski, to obtain the permission for the construction of a church and the parish’s canonical erection. The request is accepted and Rev Joseph-Adolphe-Wilfrid Gauthier is appointed as first parish priest. The construction of a modest church beings in 1914 which will be used until autumn 1920.
In 1918, four years after the parish’s erection, it is necessary to undertake the construction of a larger church. The approval is obtained and the construction of the actual church begins. The cornerstone is blessed on May 29th, 1919 and the inauguration takes place on November 14th, 1920. This building, which does not lack elegance, is cruciforn with a protruding chancel and a canted-wall apse. It measures 200 feet (61 meters) long by 60 feet (18 meters) wide. The exterior surface is covered with bricks while the internal walls are covered with plaster. The internal vault forms a polygonal arch. The church’s internal decoration was completed only in 1942.
In 1962, a new presbytery is built next to the church which now houses community offices. In 1977, additional spaces for various parish activities are set up under the church’s rear gallery. In 1989, using the decision made by the Churchwardens to wall up the rear gallery, the church interior is repainted while preserving the original architectural details and ornements. These major renovations allowed the parish not only to lower heating expenses but also to add a community value to their church.