The site contains the archaeological remains of Fort Longueuil, a fort constructed between 1685 and 1690 as the fortified residence of Charles le Moyne de Longueuil, the only Canadian-born person to be raised to the rank of Baron by the French King. The fort was demolished in 1810 and the cathedral contains stone building materials and elements salvaged from the fort. The site of the fort was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1923.
The cathedral was constructed from 1884-1887, and was completed in 1911. It is the third church in the history of Longueuil, the first being completed in 1811.
Saint-Antoine-de-Padoue was designated as a co-cathedral in 1982 when the Roman Catholic Diocese of Saint-Jean-de-Québec was renamed the Roman Catholic Diocese of Saint-Jean-Longueuil. The Cathedral of Saint-Jean-l’Évangéliste has been the primary cathedral of the diocese since its establishment in 1933.
The Parish of Saint-Antoine-de-Padoue was founded in 1698, and is one of the oldest in Canada. The cathedral was constructed in the Gothic revival style of architecture, while the dome is an example of Byzantine Revival architecture.
55, rue Sainte-Élizabeth, Longueuil