Grotte de Saint-Julien

Saint-Julien ( Chaudière-Appalaches )

The cave of Saint-Julien was built in 1917 with the priest Brouillet and completed by Father Arsène Goyette who insisted that we have a special place dedicated to the Virgin. The cave is dedicated to Notre-Dame-de-la-Salette, but shortly after, we also find the statue of Our Lady of Lourdes and Bernadette Soubirous. In the early years of 1917, it was religious offices in the cave, and on summer Sundays, the Mass was celebrated in the cave. Celebrations dedicated to the Virgin are also celebrated in the cave.

We had set up a chair for the priest can be seen by all present during the homily. The event was well attended in time, Sunday was dedicated to God and everyone attending mass. In the cave there even brought small children. May, “the month of Mary,” every night there reciting the rosary, which ended with the salvation of the Blessed Sacrament in the cave. All the villagers were present and they sang hymns to the Virgin. During the elevation, they knelt on the cement floor ... what a beautiful example of humility and piety that we inherited from our ancestors.

Today the cave still exists, thanks to the volunteer work of some parishioners who grow flowers and maintain the interior. Every summer, a mass is celebrated in the cave, and the Feast of the Assumption is underlined there a special way.


How to get there: Google Maps

Categories: Attractions, Museums and historic sites

Card created: 06/2014 (last modified: 06/2014)

GPS coordinates: 45°59'34.25"N, 71°31'42.55"W

Download for your GPS: (.gpx)

(last modified: 06/2014)