In 1929, the parish church of Gaspé was destroyed by a fire. The bishop of the diocese then decided to build a new church on the present site. It was only in 1967 that a serious attempt was made to realize the project. In 1969, the new Cathedral was consecrated. The new Cathedral was designed so as to bring harmony with its natural surroundings. It follows the undulating lines of the mountains and valleys. The interior matches the exterior in the use of wood, giving visitors a very comfortable feel.
20 de la Cathédrale, Gaspé