The fountain monument of Marius Dufresne is composed of a statue by Alfred Laliberté (1877-1953) which depicts a market gardener of the 17th century. Alfred Laliberté knows the history and heroes of French colonization. It is therefore not surprising that, without naming it, this monument refers to Louise Mauger (1598-1690).
Born in France in 1598, she married Pierre Gadoys, around 1620, and had three children, two born in France and the last one in Quebec City. In 1648, her husband received from Paul Chomedey de Maisonneuve, the first concession of Montreal, a land of 40 acres (160,000 m2), making him the first farmer in Montreal. She was buried on March 18, 1690 in Montreal.
The monument was completed in 1915. La Fermière is situated in front of the Maisonneuve Market; the market is on Ontario Street and is at the head of the Morgan Boulevard.